Job opportunity: Alternate Livelihood Co-ordinator
Location: Bahari Hai, Watamu, Kilifi County, Kenya
Start date: 1 Sep 2023 *exception can be made on a case-by-case for an exceptional candidate
Contract duration: 1yr, intention of renewal
Remuneration: Ksh 45,000 – Ksh 65,000 (depending on skill and experience level)
Employer: Bahari Hai Conservation (BH)
Reports to: Community Development & Outreach Manager
We are looking for a highly motivated and passionate Alternate Livelihood Coordinator to join our Community Development & Outreach team.
The successful candidate will play a crucial role in coordinating and implementing initiatives aimed at creating alternative livelihood opportunities for coastal communities. The candidate must have a demonstrated understanding of sound business principles, ideally within the context of farming and Eco Tourism in Kenya. Must also have a minimum of two years of experience in a similar position within a non-profit or social enterprise, as well as a deep understanding of the development challenges and livelihood patterns specific to the coastal region of Kenya.
- Coordinate and facilitate the implementation of Bahari Hai’s alternate livelihood programme.
- Assess the needs and aspirations of coastal communities, identify viable alternatives to extractive or unsustainable livelihoods, present these options to community groups and support their implementation.
- Work closely with community groups to mobilize resources, build capacity, and foster entrepreneurship skills.
- Facilitate the formation and strengthening of community groups, empowering them to plan and execute alternate livelihood activities effectively.
- Develop and monitor budgets for alternate livelihood projects, ensuring sound financial management and sustainability.
- Work with BH team to develop comprehensive project proposals and business plans to secure funding for alternate livelihood initiatives.
- Utilize participatory approaches to design and implement monitoring and evaluation frameworks, including the development of relevant indicators.
- Prepare regular project updates and monthly reports, documenting progress, challenges, and impact achieved through the programme interventions.
- Foster positive relationships with stakeholders, including community members, partner organizations, and local authorities, through effective interpersonal and networking skills.
- Be proactive and work with self-discipline, delivering results within specified timelines without constant supervision.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Experience & Characteristics Required:
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in a relevant position, preferably in the field of alternate livelihood development and/or community development and/or teaching practical business skills & entrepreneurship in a rural context.
- Fluency in Kiswahili & high proficiency in English.
- Passionate about farming, sustainable livelihoods and community development.
- Entrepreneurial, dynamic, enthusiastic, hard-working, and self-motivated.
- Excellent leadership skills, can-do attitude, flexibility, and ability to work well in a team.
- Growth mind-set and commitment to personal development.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- High ethics and embodiment of honesty and trustworthiness.
- Some experience and understanding of micro-enterprise in Kenya, is essential.
- Basic business skills are essential. Understanding profitability and general entrepreneurship.
- Basic competency in Microsoft Word and Excell – essential.
- Not a requirement but relevant qualifications are a bonus (such as a degree in community development).
- Fluent command of Giriama is a distinct advantage.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office 365 software suite.
- Experience in the social enterprise sector.
Organisational Standard Competencies Required:
- Always demonstrates integrity, thus embodying BH’s strong values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of BH.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and non-bias, treats all people fairly without favouritism
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
- % success for each targeted community group in achieving their project goals (goals set for each project and target group).
- Increased income earned by community members, through the AIG initiatives (as compared to previous activities such as fishing, bait digging, etc.)
HOW TO APPLY:
To be shortlisted for the role, you need to pass a basic skills test. This test will take about 30-45 minutes.
Application deadline: 26 July 2023
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
If you have any questions you can contact us on: [email protected]
Thank you and good luck!