Job opportunity: Bookkeeper / Junior Accountant
Location: Bahari Hai, Watamu, Kilifi County Kenya
Start date: As soon as possible
Contract duration: Permanent, full time
Remuneration: Ksh 45,000 – Ksh 65,000 (depending on skill and experience level)
Employer: Bahari Hai Conservation (BH)
We are looking for a bookkeeper to join our finance team. The Bookkeeper will be responsible for maintaining a meticulous account of the organisation’s financial records. This person will work closely with the finance and administration manager to ensure that funds are available in time and used appropriately for the activities & goals of the organisation; that the organisation is in compliance with all statutory laws and regulations; and that the financial records are in accordance with best-practice accounting principles.
The successful candidate will have strong attention to detail, be highly organized, and possess excellent communication skills This person should hold a minimum qualification level of CPA1, be familiar with QuickBooks accounting software, and have strong Microsoft Excel skills.
- Maintain accurate financial records, ensuring that all transactions are recorded properly.
- Ensure compliance with all accounting policies and procedures, as well as with the law.
- Manage accounts payable and receivable, including processing invoices and payments, accurate posting to the financial software (QuickBooks), as well as filing all relevant supporting documents (receipts, vouchers, bills, invoices, etc.) to the appropriate places, physically and digitally.
- Reconcile bank statements and resolve any discrepancies.
- Assist the finance manager in preparing and processing the payroll, including maintaining employee records and preparing tax filings.
- Verify vouchers (according to organisational policies) and ensure that QuickBooks records are complete in this regard.
- Produce financial reports, including balance sheets, income statements, and cash flow statements, at organisation as well as individual project level.
- Assisting with monitoring of project budget expenditure.
- Support grants team and budget managers to ensure that funder restrictions are understood and adhered to.
- Ensure project expense requisitions/payments are as per project budget.
- Reconcile budgets to actual spend.
- Prepare grant summary reports.
- Assist the finance manager in cashflow management – controlling expenditure against actual funds received.
- Assist in Financial Manager with auditing, both internal and external.
- Monitor and analyse financial performance, identifying trends and areas for improvement.
- Assist other team members (field team) with project budgeting and finance management, as needed.
- Perform other duties as reasonably assigned.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
Experience & Characteristics Required:
- Proven bookkeeping experience & skill in basic bookkeeping and accounts payable/receivable principles.
- Proven ability to calculate, post and manage accounting figures and financial records.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Outstanding accuracy in data entry & general attention to detail.
- A real ‘knack’ for numbers.
- Hands-on experience with Microsoft Office (especially Microsoft Excel).
- Fluency in Kiswahili & High Proficiency in English.
- Customer service orientation and negotiation skills.
- Dynamic, enthusiastic, hard-working, and self-motivated.
- Can-do attitude, flexibility, and ability to work well in a team.
- Commitment to personal development.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Familiarity with Kenyan employment & tax laws and regulations.
- Qualified minimum CPA 1
- Proficiency with QuickBooks accounting software.
- Experience of the NGO or charity sector
- BS degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration is an advantage.
Organisational Standard Competencies Required:
- Always demonstrates integrity, thus modelling BH’s strong values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of BH.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality, and age sensitivity non-bias, treats all people fairly without favouritism.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS:
- Up to date Financial Report is available within 5 working days after end of a month: Cash-Flow, P&L, Income Statement & Balance Sheet.
- Accuracy: Less than 5% errors – whether in data entry to QuickBooks (posting) or other.
- Financial control: Indicated by P&L monthly surplus.
- Compliance: All submissions to, and receipts from – Labour, KRA, etc. – are submitted and acquired on time. There are no Fines or warnings from Govt. Agencies.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be shortlisted for the role, you need to pass a basic skills test. This test will take about 25 minutes and will cover an array of Accounting and Accuracy skills.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
If you have any questions you can contact us on: [email protected]
Thank you and good luck!
Finance Manager |Bahari Hai